Thursday, October 6, 2011

A weekend in Florence

Florence is the most beautiful city I think I’ve ever been to and is officially my new favorite. We saw so much in the first two days it was insane. We took the train right after class on Thursday afternoon, which was only 2 and a half hours from Rome. We arrived and then headed straight to a museum to see The David by Michelangelo (so we could write our assignment on it).  After that Kate, Dana and I headed to a Kabob shop, which was easily our favorite food for the weekend (not to be confused with American kabobs on a stick). We sat on a bench while we ate and people watched for a while. A drunken man approached us and started yelling at us in Italian saying we were stupid and unintelligent Americans for getting Kabobs. He was saying we should be eating pasta or spaghetti not Kabobs because they aren’t Italian and stormed off in a huff. (Although this did not deter us from purchasing them three more times over the weekend...) After our little dispute we headed back to the hotel to get ready before going out.


            The next day in Florence was just as great as the first day. In the morning Kate and I walked down to the river to find a coffee shop and see the city before we had class at 11. We got two iced coffees and a fancy looking orange pie pastry thing. We checked out one of the street markets and just looked around to see what there was. There wasn’t much time though so we headed to class. We went to more museums and looked at the architecture of Florence. Our professor explained the Duomo, which is literally right next to our hotel. That night we went out for dinner with Paulo (or professor) and I got a lovely dish of spaghetti and clams in a white wine. It was delicious and gave us an excuse to get all dressed up.





            No surprise the next day we went to a few more museums and took notes all day long (but of paintings this time). Then later we found a little place by our hotel for dinner. We decided to check out the nightlife in Florence after hearing that’s where they filmed this season’s Jersey Shore. We found a nightclub called Space which was really modern looking and was packed full of people.  The whole group of us went out which was a lot of fun. We somehow managed to get into the VIP section on the third floor, which was really fun to see.



            Our last day in Florence was spent checking out some last minute stops. We had to go back to the leather market (because Florence is known for their leather) so I could replace my second purse that broke. I got a cute black leather cross over purse that says ‘Made in Florence’ right on it. Then I also got a little red clutch for times when I don’t want to carry my whole purse with me. We then made our way to the gardens of Florence were we got in for free with our museum passes. The gardens had amazing views of the city and were HUGE! They had fountains and grottos and seemed to go on forever. We took a  quick nap in the park and then decided to make our way back to the market one last time. I got my final Florence purchase that was a hardcover journal with a beautiful Florentine cover decorated with gold and colorful swirling flowers. It was my favorite thing I got there by far. We took lots of pictures by the river and of the city itself before boarding the train. We got back pretty late at night and we were all exhausted. It was by far one of the best weekends I’ve had here in Italy. I will come back to Florence someday, that I know for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment